Smithfield Sportsman's Club was founded in 1917 as Georgiaville Foxhunter’s Club by David Harris (President 1917-1938), Oscar Steere, Henry Keene and Louis Giusti for the purpose of promoting game conservation and legislation favorable to sportsmen.
In 1928, Georgiaville Foxhunter’s Club changed its name to Smithfield Sportsman’s Club and became affiliated with Federated Sportsman’s Clubs of Rhode Island. The 65-member club held fox hunts, promoted the stocking of rabbits, pheasants and fish and held the club’s first Field Days and trap shoots. By 1938, the group was actively searching for a permanent clubhouse location.
By 1939, the club purchased 1 acre for the site of the clubhouse. Construction began and the first meeting was held in the new clubhouse in 1940. The remainder of the land was purchased in 1944. By 1946, the club membership had increased to 175.
Today the membership stands at over 300 members.